Thursday 14 November 2013

It's nice to be loved!

Well that’s me another year older. Wish I could say wiser.


It was a nice surprise this morning to find even Google wishing me Happy Birthday and giving me a special home page. Nice touch Google! It never dawned on me when I moved to Google Chrome that they would do that but I really shouldn’t have been surprised.

Google wishing me at North Wald Self Catering on Orkney a Happy Birthday
Happy Birthday from Google

A few years ago I did not even want to join Facebook but the fact that people kept asking me if I had seen such and such a picture of this, or that, grandchild made me set up an account. I was still not overly impressed once I did join. I was amazed, even stunned at times,  at the trivia and inappropriate things that people posted. It took me a while to get used to it and to learn how to switch certain aspects on and off but I got there. What I did love was the feeling of being connected to people again. Not only close friends and family but friends you had not seen in years and more distant family members that suddenly became much closer. My Birthday bought a special treat last year and again this year. It really does warm your heart to receive so many good wishes. Thank you one and all.

I am still not convinced about Twitter. +Rene Looper  at +Tuminds Social Media  advised us to join as part of a social media presence for +North Wald Cottage and +North Wald Caravan , but I am still not convinced. I suppose part of the problem is I really do twitter (twitter on – as my parents referred to it)  and not Tweet. Tweets are far to short for me. I can’t get my head around saying something important (if I ever do) in such a short number of letters!  I will try to get used to it and I am sure I will eventually. Hopefully before Rene get fed up of the mentions.


There is not much to report on the goings on of life here. The weather, and a blip in my health, has meant that not a lot has been done this past week. One thing I have noticed is how the colour of the egg yolks is already changing. The yolks are normally such a deep golden yellow that when you bake with them any one eating the cakes would be convinced you had put a whole load of yellow colouring in them. Now after only a week locked indoors with no access to the grazing the yolks are significantly paler. I need to organise some greenery for them and also some grit and calcium or we won’t be getting any eggs at all. I have loads of eggs shells dried off ready to be recycled for the calcium, and there is a beach full of grit, and more calcium, in the form of little shells just a short walk away. I also have a garden full of very green, if very waterlogged, cabbage, cauli, sprouts, turnip tops, carrot tops etc etc, so I am sure I can get them some of them to nibble on. Hopefully we can restore the golden glowing yolks in no time at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment