Thursday 28 November 2013

Am I so gullible?

“Hello. Mrs Park?”

“Yes This is Mrs Park”

“We are calling with regard to your land line at North Wald Cottage”

“I don’t have a land line at North Wald Cottage”

“Sorry? What? I am talking to you – is that Mrs Park?”

“Yes this is Mrs Park”

“We are calling with regard to your land line at North Wald Cottage”

“I don’t have a land line at North Wald Cottage”

“But you are Mrs Park?”

“Yes”

“Ok, about your land line at North Wald Cottage”

“I don’t have one”

“Is this number yours?”

“Yes, but it is not the number for the cottage. The cottage doesn’t have a number”

“Ok I will talk to you”

“Yes, you are already talking to me.”

I am mean, but I couldn't resist it.

The conversation then went along the lines that they were working with the government in a scheme to stop nuisance calls from sales and especially Indian call centers (I do suspect due to the incredibly bad English, hard to understand accent, and general background noise, that I was somehow connected to one such centre). It had been reported to them, not by me, and I was ignored when I asked her to clarify by whom, that I was getting a number of unwanted sales calls.  They were the CPS – Call Protection Service working on a government grant and I would be receiving a blocker in the mail in the next few days. I was to insert this blocker between my phone and the wall box to prevent unwanted calls. All I had to do was pay a small installation fee, and a monthly fee, to them to cover their costs.

Strangely enough I hung up on her.


I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment