Saturday 9 November 2013

Googled Out

North Wald Self Catering Cottage on Orkney. Feeding the Chickens. The polytunnel.


I can’t believe how busy I have been this week. Normally when it is wet and miserable (On Orkney?  - Really ?– I can hear you thinking.)  I am stuck inside twiddling my thumbs and feeling very frustrated. Not so this week. I have been completely occupied with the new web site and trying to get my head around my “web presence”. I have been on Google, Google +, Google profiles, Google pages, Google Maps, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster, Google this and Google that and I am now well and truly Googley eyed!!

I always knew that the web would be extremely important for a self catering business like North Wald so I spent a couple of weeks tracking down any, and every, website that I could advertise on, so I could get North Wald out there. I did keep a spreadsheet of all the places I advertised on so you would think it would be a simple case to get them all updated with the new web site and email address. Ha! I wish. On some North Wald had just vanished. On others no matter what I tried I could not log in. Another insisted it had to call me before allowing changes (at least they cared). On top of that there is now a multitude of sites on which I never actually advertised but that have scraped my details from the web. I am still working on tracking all these links down but I am slowly getting there.

It has been quite a while since I have been so deeply involved in IT so much, so that so it is no longer referred to as IT. I had forgotten just how intense it can get. It is no wonder I am having problems sleeping, when I close my eyes all I see are web pages swimming around in my head. Pretty appropriate with all this rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment