Thursday 14 November 2013

Deaf as a post!

Now I am a little deaf – quite literally. 

My Grandpop used to refer to me, playfully, as deaf, dumb and daft, as he’d clip me round the head with a rolled up newspaper. Maybe that’s why I was deaf, dumb and daft! Anyway this morning I have managed to miss both the dustbin men and the coal man. I heard neither of them and that is amazing considering the noise the dustbin lorry makes as it reverses back and forward and manoeuvres it's way out of the yard. I was very worried that the coal man had not arrived as we are running short but when I went out to feed the ducks there was a scrap of paper stuck to the feeder.  I picked it up and looked at it and it had “two bags of Columbian” scribbled on it so I knew it must have been from the coal man’s pocket. I cursed myself for not hearing him and panicked about running out of coal before next week. 

Then I went into the byre to check the door was securely bolted in this wind. Big surprise the coal was there! He must have let himself in the tool shed and opened the byre door. At least I hope so or he would have had a long walk round with all those very heavy bags of coal. But all the slates and bricks used to block the bottom of the door were still in place so it is possible he went the long way round. I just can’t believe I missed two great big lorries arriving and departing. I was just sitting here in the living room with no music or TV on so you would have thought I would have heard them. I must be deafer than I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment